The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is a statewide coalition of grassroots, community-based organizations. We organize in communities most impacted by environmental issues – low-income communities and communities of color – to advance statewide policy that protects the environment and our health.
We have six core members and five partners across California: the Asian Pacific Environmental Network; Center for Community Action & Environmental Justice; Center on Race, Poverty, and the Environment; Central Coast Alliance United for a Sustainable Economy; Communities for a Better Environment; Environmental Health Coalition; Leadership Counsel for Justice and Accountability; Pacoima Beautiful; People Organizing to Demand Environmental & Economic Rights; Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles; and Strategic Concepts in Organizing and Policy Education.
CEJA Action is the c4 of the California Environmental Justice Alliance. We are launching an Electoral Program and we are looking for a skilled Civic Engagement Manager to oversee and implement our program.
JOB TITLE: Civic Engagement Manager
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Civic Engagement Manager will guide and implement strategies for our Electoral Program. The Manager will be responsible for overseeing CEJA’s overall Electoral program, coordinate our member organizations to participate and lead in electoral program and campaigns, act as data manager and help develop voter targeting and strategy, conducting any analysis of the political landscape, conducting electoral research, and representing CEJA in stakeholder coalitions and meetings.
REPORTING RELATION/LOCATION: The fiscal sponsor for the California Environmental Justice Alliance is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The Civic Engagement Manager will be an employee of EHC. The Civic Engagement Manager will report to CEJA Co-Director located in the Los Angeles office. This position may be housed either in the CEJA Oakland office or the CEJA Los Angeles office.
Program Management (60%): Lead the management and implementation of CEJA’s overall Electoral Program including:
• Work with the Co-Director and the Electoral Committee to fully develop, implement and oversee the Electoral Program and plans
• Coordinate the Electoral Committee: set strategy, convene meetings, set agenda, and implement tasks
• Oversee any campaign plans and coordinate with CEJA member organizations to implement campaign
• Navigate the political landscape of the state and ensure CEJA continues to play an important role as EJ policy advances
• Represent CEJA in key coalitions and sit at the table in discussions regarding statewide initiatives and races
• Coordinate education and GOTV among CEJA member organizations including training member organizations without existing GOTV programs
• Build relationships with allies for collaboration around shared goals
• Assist in identifying donors and assist Co-Directors in fundraising
• Work with communications staff and Electoral Committee to develop and execute a communications strategy
• Coordinate peer-to-peer trainings for beginner level member organizations to set up infrastructure needed for electoral program
• Work with Communications Associate to develop media strategy to support electoral work.
Data Management (30%): Develop and maintain data management infrastructure for CEJA and support member organizations use of data in electoral program
• Help develop and implement a voter data system and collections process for CEJA
• Administer, support, and train beginner, intermediate and advance level member organizations on voter file systems
• Work closely with member organizations in developing strategies to better use data in their organizing and electoral work
• Work closely with partner groups to analyze their data systems and make recommendations on how to improve their data processing/ integration capacity
• Research/analysis to determine voter participation rates, voter registration rates, demographic data and other statistics
• Generate voter lists for any mailing, canvassing and phone banks
• Develop voter targeting and electoral strategy
• Responsible for all reporting of electoral engagement programs
• Ability to provide support to local groups in their access and guide when needed
• Assist with planning and coordination of data training conferences
General Organizational Responsibilities (10%):
• Participate in Steering Committee meetings to present and report on Electoral Program and progress.
• Foster an environment that promotes trust and cooperation amongst CEJA staff, community members, and affiliate organizations.
• Actively participate in program strategy, planning, tracking and reporting, and staff meetings.
• Actively participate in CEJA-wide events, such as annual Congreso.
• Other duties as assigned by the Co-Directors.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• 3-5 years of nonprofit and/or electoral engagement, and campaign experience
• 3-5 years managing a civic engagement/electoral program
• 3-5 years of conducting electoral research and voter targeting
• Strong experience in managing voter files using VAN, PDI or other Voter Contact Tools
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point)
• Is able to travel throughout the state as needed
• Ability to work flexible hours to respond to position needs
• Internet fluency; web research a must
• Commitment to environmental, social and economic justice
• Demonstration of leadership and coordination skills: self-motivated, experience managing staff and/or community leaders; experience managing a program
• Experience working with MYSQL and/or other SQL databases
• Experience with STATA
• Highly detail oriented and accountable
• Highly collaborative style
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Relationship builder and people person
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with CEJA staff, committees, organizational community members, and supporters.
• Self-starter, able to work independently
• Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and take on additional tasks as needed to support CEJA’s overall mission
Starting Salary: $62,000-67,000, depending on experience.
Benefits: Includes health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan, generous vacation and sick leave
Start Date: Applications due February 26, 2016, start date March 2016.
Applications: Email resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org